Monday, June 18, 2007

weekend of the 9th and 10th

Sunday the tenth was National Childrens Day in Haiti - its a celebration across the whole country to honor children, and the future of Haiti. Our children were asked to dance at a function on behalf of hfc. There were 5 girls who performed a traditional Haitian dance, complete with flower printed floor length skirts and tops, and beautiful hair ties. And then 10 girls and 5 boys who performed a hip hop dance that was partially choreographed by themselves. Kattia and Stephanie also sang a song in Kreyol about hope and the future. They were all beautiful, and they all did a spectacular job - I wish I had video and pictures, but my camera isnt working right now... as soon as I can I will add pictures I know it helps immensly to actually see your children.
Another perk to being one of the choosen dancers for the weekend was staying at Dr.B's house. The kids enjoyed sleeping in, staying up late, star gazing from the room, the Gold Cup games, music, more food than I can even explain (I dont know where they put it all!) and special time with eachother. I love to see them interact in smaller numbers, because you can see how deep the friendships and the connections are between all the children, even though some of them project it in such different ways.
We attended church in Thomasion on Sunday and ate a wonderful chicken dinner before returning to Bolosse.
All in all it was a great weekend.
I know the kids felt great about the performances, they all looked great! and did a beautiful job! I wish you all could have been there to see - when you visit we will have to show you the dances and have some of the kids sing!
blessings -

No comments: