Monday, June 4, 2007

over the weekend at HFC!

So I started this blog so that I could keep people updated… then I bail on everyone for three days! I am really sorry! Days here seem to escape me, and anytype of scheduling is really irrelevant because at any given time, for any given reason things change!! The kids like to type their own letters home and to friends, and they like to play this game, Crystal Maze on my computer, and honestly its so hard to say no!! The electricity and internet connection are also not super consistent so sometimes there is time, but no way to connect!!
Anyway Saturdays around here are really free days! The boys go early in the morning to play volleyball with the coach – I am going now so that I can learn to play too! Then they come back and eat breakfast. Around 10am a few of the older boys are coaching the youngest boys, Ernso, Jude, Monsonto, and James in basketball. It’s a program that Keziah started and has proven to be great so I am keeping it going! Its great because the older boys, who are really not boys but young men, are given some responsibility. They are in charge of the time, they give the boys orders, and are responsible for making sure they are safe, and learning. And its great for the young boys too, because they are getting the opportunity to play organized sports, learn some drills and skills, and interact with the older boys! It’s a great time for all! And for me its an hour to sit outside in the beautiful Haitian sun!! (before it gets too hot!) and just watch – every once in a while there is a scraped knee or a bruised elbow that needs a little TLC and I give out hugs freely!!
Saturday the girls and I also had our first dance class!! It was wonderful! The girls love to dance, and they all have a great time! And I am getting the opportunity to do two really great things – 1. I am able to dance myself and teach dance, which has always been a passion of mine! 2. I am able to expose the girls to hip hop music, which is something they love, that they have maybe never heard. I am trying to show them Christian hip hop music, that has the same great tempo, beat and feeling of hip hop and reggaeton music but has clean, tasteful and God centered lyrics! Most of the songs are in English so they don’t understand much of what is said anyway. But I love the fact that you can merge two seemingly unrelated yet hugely important aspects of teenage life. God and hip hop! It also opens up the floor (haha pun not intended!) for me to show them some pop and lock, and step moves, rather than some of the more provocative alternatives that can be seen in so many of the hip hop music videos, and are so often associated with hip hop music. It’s been great, we are having a blast! It’s a great learning opportunity for us all, and a great bonding time.
The most difficult part has been counting in Creole rather than in English – all of a sudden the second nature of 5, 6, 7, 8 is something I have to think about!! Sometimes I slip into English on accident, they understand and with a giggle and a hug correct me!! The best part for me so far – has been the heartfelt thank you’s and hugs that follow each lesson!
Sunday we all went to Sunday school and church then had a delicious lunch. This week we had a special treat, fresh tomatoes and fresh lettuce!!! I was thrilled!! The girls think it’s funny that I get excited about vegetables, but they are not so readily available in Haiti as in the States, and it is something I have grown to miss! So when I see them on the table I jump around and say “woo hoo” and they laugh!
Today the kids went off to school like any regular Monday – many of them were surprised to get out earlier than usual because practice tests for the National Exam were administered to about half the kids today! Many of them are ready – many still need preparation. We are going to be work on it for the next few weeks, and praying for all the children often. If you would like to join us in praying for productive study times, rest and relaxation before the test, and then successful, anxiety free test taking with passing results, I know it would be greatly appreciated by all!
English group two started teaching me the calendar, and telling time today during our reverse lessons. And group one received their “The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe” books today. We are hoping to read the whole thing by the end of summer, the whole book is in English, and although it’s a familiar story, it will be a challenge for all. I know they can do it! They just need to see that they can do it! We are all excited about the challenge!
I will check in again in a few days!
Thanks for reading!
Blessings-
~*~nikki~*~

No comments: