Sunday, January 6, 2008

Sweet Sixteen??

I got up this morning and went to church, it was great to see everyone again. Great to be able to tell people about the kids, about Merger, about my amazing connection with Kez, it was great!! and God is so good - because the service was wonderful, exactly the message I needed to hear today, and I almost felt like God put some of those words on Mike's heart, because I needed to hear them. And I am so greatful.
then I came home, and both my roomates are gone, its cold, and I am missing the children in Haiti, and feeling lonely. I am missing having constant contact, and someone to play with and talk to. My cell phone is currently out of commission- so with very little outside world contact I sat on the couch with the ever loyal cat and cried.
"My Super Sweet Sixteen" is a show on MTV that I rarely watch...but you know how people talk about train wrecks - I think it goes that its awful but you can't help but watch it. Well that's how it is, this show is full of 15 year old kids, with more money than anyone person needs and they get hundred thousand dollar cars and and spend tens of thousands on parties. It amazes me, and makes me realize how different life can be from one person to another. It also reinds me of our 7 15 year old children at the pension that would never ask for a BMW, or Usher to sing at their birthday party just because they turned 16. But children that would be forever thankful, and joyful to have a family.
I decided to use my time more wisely and started to think about other things, besides adoption...what can we do to get these kids to the states. When I talk to families I know, they are scared of adoption, and in the last 2 weeks I have had 4 different people tell me they would love to host, but can not adopt. so without adoption what other opportunities are there? the answers are not super clear to me yet - but I am continuing looking into options, and doing more research. There are organizations that run exchange programs, in which students can attend school in the states. Student Visas. and some other options.... tomorrow I start writing letters to get permission from hfc to try these things, calling organizations to get hfc on their lists, and friends who are willing to host.

please continue to pray for these kids, for adoptive families, and for alternate opportunities for those who dont have that option. we have some children who are dangerously close to 16, some children who are on the verge of loosing a chance at a family and a way to the United States, and for them, and our already 16 year old children I feel burdened to find another option, a second opportunity.

2 comments:

The Williamson Clan said...

Nikki,
Hi! I met you while you were in Haiti. I was delivering a gift to Hermilio and asked you to introduce me to Alexandra. Just wanted to say HI and that we too are praying about what we can do for the HFC kids. I absolutely love to see the heart that you and Kez have for these kids. They are super blessed to have you and I know you feel the same about them.
Blessings,
Jana

The Haiti Lady said...

Nikki,

Let me know what I can do to help with the Visa issues. I am currently trying to find out if there are programs for the kids to come to the US for schooling etc as well. Together, we can conquer ANYTHING!!!
Love ya,
LeAnne