Thursday, July 19, 2007

Mission Team #2 for Summer 2007

Mission team two for the summer was a group of women, most of whom are adopting some of our wonderful children or are families of the children. It was great to see them all together. The children whose mother’s were here were able to sleep up at Dr. Bernard’s home with their mothers or family members which I know provided some wonderful, and much needed bonding time. I don’t think I was really aware though – until watching them all leave and say the tear-full good byes how hard it must be to have children who live literally a world away. I think I was unaware until this group came down at how much a parent can mourn for a child who is so far from them, and how much a family can miss when they are separated for long periods of time. We are all LUCKY though! Because God is good! And he provided these families with a chance to reunite, catch up, build even stronger bonds. And I am hopeful that with continued prayer God will provide a way for these children to get to their homes.
On a happier note - - -
While the team was here we had a blast. The spent their fist few hours in Haiti re-uniting with their kids and attending the kindergarten graduation! It was wonderful to have them here to rejoice in the celebration of our children with us. The spent some part of the next day working with the babies of NLL and praying over the nannies, they also gave the nannies much needed “grab bags” as gifts. The bags had pretty basic necessities inside, but luxuries the nannies often miss out on. Most of them received a new pair of shoes, or article of clothing, some great girly smelly body washes, hair ties and most importantly prayer! That same day a super surprise was revealed to the children when the team brought out a new TV, about 40 DVD’s, and a Playstation 2 with games! The Playstation is currently living in the boys house where it is loved very much and received huge amounts of attention. If you couldnt guess…. FIFA is the favorite game! The TV and DVD collection are staying at the girls house, and has been great on group movie night, and to watch the soccer games in a nice clear sharp picture. We spent a portion of the next day playing with Mary Kay samples the team brought down. The girls LOVE makeup and are quite good at the art of makeup also. I am not by any stretch of the imagination a makeup or hair artist but the girls do a wonderful job with me! I also got a hair cut!!! I had made a deal with a few of the boys who like to keep their fingernails exceptionally long! That if they cut their nails and let them remain short for 2 weeks I would cut my hair. So Angela, (mother to hfc kids, Jacques, Stephanie and Jude) gave me a hair cut! The boys were super excited to watch and happy that I held up my end of the deal, and they have all held up their end of the deal and kept their nails short! Many of the kids still hold onto a curly lock of my hair in a little black elastic as proof of what happened! But I have pictures to prove it…
For the rest of the day we played water balloon games before saying our good byes.
The afternoon was filled with hugs, tears, “I love you” and “see you soon” I don’t think one good bye was actually uttered because we are all hopeful that the day will be sooner rather than later when these kids can go home! It was a great trip! And an amazing experience to get to know all the wonderful women, and I am so pleased to know so many of our children have such wonderful families to call their own!

Blessings –
n

No comments: